Canada Summer Jobs – Summer Work Experience Program
Are you looking to be part of a rapidly growing non-profit organization that supports our community?
We have just the opportunity for you!
Urban Roots is a non-profit organization that revitalizes underused land in the City of London for agriculture by:
- Producing high-quality organic vegetables and herbs
- Distributing produce locally, directly to consumers and to private and social enterprises
- Developing agricultural opportunities for the neighbourhood, social enterprises, and community organizations within the City of London
- Growing a self-sustaining, urban agricultural model to germinate to new sites
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Coordinator will engage with staff, community members, and stakeholders to create compelling stories, online content, and training materials that support the organization's communication strategy. The Communications Coordinator is responsible for:
- Managing communication platforms, including but not limited to: website, social media, and newsletters
- Coordinating with partner organizations to tell the stories and impact of our partnership
- Building and maintaining relationships with the community that fosters storytelling opportunities.
- Assisting with the development of outreach and educational activities.
- Generating social media content, including photos and videos capturing the activities of URL.
- Collaborating with various committees to implement programming needs / fundraising campaigns
- Developing internal communication and educational documents.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director and Market Manager to develop a marketing strategy that increases awareness of Urban Roots London, farmgate markets, and on-farm events
- Assisting with planning, implementation, and marketing of on-farm events
- Attending occasional farmgate markets and pop-up community markets for photos, storytelling, and community-building.
- Accompanying URL representatives at speaking engagements/ community events for photos and storytelling
Qualifications (One Position Available)
- Between 15 and 30 years of age
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. International students are not eligible
- Have a passion for urban agriculture and what it means in developing sustainable cities
- Deep interest in building human centered connections
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively with a team
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational ability and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and work within deadlines
- Proven experience in strategic content creation and social media promotions via Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Strong photography and videography skills
- Experience with Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, including Excel, Mailchimp, and WordPress
- Wage: $18.05/hour (Ontario Living Wage Network)
- Hours per week: 30
- Duration: 16 weeks
- Schedule: Flexible, but requires occasional evenings and weekends.
- Start Date: May 15, 2023 (anticipated)
- Location: Remote, with occasional time on-farm (21 Norlan Ave and 1240 Fanshawe Park Road E) and at partners within the City of London
- Please complete this form by 11:59 pm on March 29, 2023.
- If you have any questions, please email [email protected]
- Interviews will be virtual and you will be contacted by email or phone to schedule an interview time.
Urban Roots London values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application, please contact [email protected]