On November 16th, the London Environmental Network and Climate Action London co-hosted a webinar to share information and calls to action in response to the Provincial Government's Bill 23: More Homes Built Faster Act.
In Brief: While the Bill intends to fast-track the development of some new homes, the proposed changes have serious negative consequences for environmental protection and restoration laws in Ontario and will increase urban sprawl. As described by Ontario Nature, "This omnibus bill proposes sweeping changes to the province’s natural heritage and land use planning legislation and policy. If accepted, it would amend many laws ... removing and weakening environmental protections and excluding the public from meaningful involvement in land use planning and decisions affecting their communities."
In the webinar below, representatives from Climate Action London will go over the major impacts of Bill 23 and walk you through how to submit comments to oppose the bill:
URGENT! Submit your Comments by November 17th at 7pm:
- Submit Comments to Legislative Assembly of Ontario, click here.
- For a Step-by-Step Guide to Submitting Comments, click here.
- For a Template for Opposition to Bill 23 Sample Comments (copy + adapt as you see fit!), click here.
- Call your MPP to let them know you oppose Bill 23, see list of London & Area MPPs here.
Important Resources Mentioned & Deadlines for Comments:
- Webinar slides are linked here.
- Sign the Environmental Defence Petition: https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/116359/action/1
- Reducing Conservation Authorities roles (deadline Dec 30): https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-2927
- Preventing CAs from commenting (deadline Nov 24) https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-6141
- Changes to the ON Wetland Evaluation System (deadline Nov 24) https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-6160
- Impact on Municipal Decision making (comments due Nov 24) https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-6163
- Allow loss of wetlands and woodlands thru “offsetting” (deadline Dec 30) https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-6161
- Greenbelt changes (deadline Dec 4) https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-6217
- Ontario Nature on Bill 23 https://ontarionature.org/campaigns/bill-23/ ; https://ontarionature.good.do/bill-23/email/?v=051df1b6
- London ReThink Zoning https://getinvolved.london.ca/rethink-zoning
Area MPPs and Relevant Ministers:
- Teresa Armstrong (NDP) – London-Fanshawe – 519.668.1104 or 416-325-1872
- Robert Bailey (PC) – Sarnia-Lambton – 519.337.0051
- Steve Clark (PC) – Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing – Leeds-Grenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes – 613.342.9522 or toll free - 1-800-267-4408
- Andrew Dowie (PC) – Windsor-Tecumseh – 519.251.5199
- Rob Flack (PC) – Elgin-Middlesex-London – 519.631.5995
- Doug Ford (PC) – Premier of Ontario – Etobicoke – 416.745.2859 or 416-325-1941
- Ernie Hardeman (PC) – Oxford – 519.537.5222 or 416-325-0224
- Trevor Jones (PC) – Chatham-Kent-Leamington – 519.351.0510 or 519-326-3367
- Terrance Kernaghan (NDP) – London North Centre - 519.432.7339 or 416-326-7568
- Anthony Leardi (PC) – Essex – 519.736.1550
- Monte McNaughton (PC) – Minister of Labour, Immigration and Skilled Trades – Lambton-Kent-Middlesex – 519.245.8696 or 519-627-1015
- David Piccini (PC) – Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks – Northumberland- Peterborough South – 905.372.4000
- Peggy Sattler (NDP) – London-West – 519.657.3120 or 416-325-6908
- Graydon Smith (PC) – Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry – Parry Sound-Muskoka
- – 705.645.8538 or 1-888-267-4826 or 705-746-4266
- Environmental Defence article by Phil Pothen: https://environmentaldefence.ca/2022/10/31/ontarios-housing-bill-is-actually-a-trojan-horse-for-evironmentally-catastrophic-rural-sprawl/
- Ontario Nature article by Anne Bell: https://view.publitas.com/on-nature/bill-23-backgrounder-november-2022/page/1
- Canadian Environmental Law Association article: https://cela.ca/reviewing-bill-23-more-homes-built-faster-act-2022/
- Federation of Urban Neighbourhoods: https://urbanneighbourhoods.ca/fun-open-letter-in-opposition-to-bill-23/