How it works
BIG BIKE GIVEAWAY 2019
our annual event will be held on SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 8 at the ARGYLE ARENA - LONDON 1948 Wavell Street
* arrive early to avoid disappointment * limited quantities available
REGISTRATION OPENS at 9am and the giveaway starts at 10am.
Find out more here: https://bigbikegiveaway.ca/
WE ARE STILL CONFIRMING OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS ATTENDING THE 2019 EVENT
HERE ARE OUR 2018 PARTNERS
MEC will provide bike tire checks and seat adjustments.
Squeaky Wheel Co-op will provide resource for bike repair and education.
CAN-Bike will provide helmet fitting.
Old East Village Riding Group hosts weekly 11am ride - all ages & abilities
London Public Library will provide children's activities.
Fanshawe Paramedics will provide first-aid services.
English to Arabic language interpretation available.
Everyone will be sized to fit a bike at registration.
Wristbands will be issued based on sizes available.
Bands get you into the bike area but do not guarantee you a bike.
Children under 3 feet high will start receiving their free bikes at 9am.
General giveaway will commence at 10am.
Your wristband number will be announced by speaker.
You must attend the bike area immediately after number is called.
The London Arts Council will host a bike thread art activity for all.
London City & Fanshawe Police Fnds. will provide security.
Helmets on Kids program will provide brain injury and health education.
London Transit will provide education for bikes on buses.
Bike Registry Service will be available to register your bike.
JACK 102.3 will provide music.
WHO CAN HAVE A FREE BIKE?
Londoners come to the event and get sized up for a free bike that fits them. The concept is simple, first-come-first-serve and there is only one bike issued to each person. The person must be in attendance to receive a bike as they are fitted to the bike before they leave. Big Bike Giveaway takes it to the next level by reserving the first lot of bikes for people currently working with charitable organizations and have been deemed in-major-need of community support.
2. The bike must fit you to receive a free bike
3. One bike per person
1. Arrive to the event early to line up as it is busy and we see over a thousand people in need at this event.
2. Registration opens at 9am and you must line up to register, sign a liability and photo/video waiver and get a wristband.
3. At registration you will be sized for a bike. The person needing a bike must be in attendance. (Example, a caregiver cannot get a bike for their child, their child must be there to be fitted).
4. You'll receive a wristband to get into the bike area. The wristband gets you into the bike area but does not guarantee you a bike.
5. Once you have a wristband, you are welcome to roam the park. Please stay close to the central speaker system. Starting at 10am wristband numbers will be called out and you must attend the bike area immediately or your number will be given to another person in need.
6. You will go into the bike area and pick from a variety of bikes sized for you. If the bike fits you it is yours for free.
7. After you get your bike you can have MEC check your tires and seat height for safety. You can also visit the helmet area and our partners (CAN-Bike & Helmets on Kids) will give you a helmet (limited quantities available) and fit you for it.
8. Family activities in the park are free, including the OEV Ride at 11am.
9. Food and beverage will be available at a cost (all funds to charity, Boyle Activity Council & Forest City Velodrome).
10. We appreciate any monetary donations you make to Big Bike Giveaway. This helps us continue our free program. There will be volunteers in the park available to accept cash/coin donations.
11. We encourage you to bring a folding chair and umbrella if needed as it can be a long wait to get through the line.
12. Washrooms are available outside the centre (north end of the park).
13. First-aid is available in the west parking lot by Fanshawe Paramedics.
14. Want to learn to put your bike on a LTC bus? London Transit will be at the east side of the park to show everyone how to do this.
15. Bike Registry Service will be available for you to register your new bike in a North American database. The cost is $5 and funds go administration and donations to Big Bike Giveaway.
*MOST IMPORTANTLY please treat our volunteer staff will kindness and gratitude. We have over 100 volunteers, sponsors and partners that donate their time and money to make this free event happen each year. We facilitate an inclusive, barrier-free environment which fosters only positivity and appreciation. All those not respecting the positive concept will be asked to leave by security.
Big Bike Giveaway first repairs used bikes and this can be expensive. Donations from the community are appreciated. All funds received go to purchasing parts to repair the bikes (tires, chains, tubes, brakes etc.)
We appreciate cash donations at the event, but for those who want to make an online donation, please visit