Urban Farm Labourer
Canada Summer Jobs – Summer Work Experience Program
Are you looking to be part of a rapidly growing non-profit organization that supports our community?
We have just the opportunity for you to get your hands dirty!
Numerous positions are available!
Urban Roots London is a non-profit organization that revitalizes underused land in the City of London for agriculture by:
- Producing high-quality, organic vegetables and herbs
- Distributing produce locally, directly to consumers and to private and social enterprises
- Providing agricultural and educational opportunities for the neighbourhood, social enterprises, and community organizations within the City of London
- Growing a self-sustaining, urban agricultural model to germinate to new sites
- Participate in the completion of daily tasks at all Urban Roots sites based on needs of the organization. Daily tasks include: planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, pruning, trellising and general property maintenance
- Work with and support teams of volunteers to accomplish set tasks
- Collaborate daily with the Director of Farm Operations/Farm Team Lead in order to accomplish required tasks
- Keep records of various data and metrics pertaining to farm operations
- Support twice-weekly farm markets on a rotational basis by serving and engaging customers, stocking produce and tracking data
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. International students are not eligible.
- Have a passion for urban agriculture; horticultural and gardening knowledge is an asset
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Methodical, self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic and sense of responsibility
- Able to work in all weather conditions (extreme heat, rain)
- Physical and mental stamina to keep up with demands of farming. The ability to frequently lift, bend, crouch and carry is required
- Basic MS Excel skills
- First Aid certification is an asset
- Wage: $18.05/hour (Ontario Living Wage Network)
- Hours per week: 30
- Duration: 16 weeks
- Schedule: Typically weekdays, 7:00am - 2:00pm, with some flexibility if mutually agreed upon or if required due to weather. Rotational shifts are required to close hoophouses/high tunnels (12:00pm - 7:00pm) and to cover bi-weekly markets (Wednesdays and Sundays)
- Start Date: May 15, 2023
- Location: 21 Norlan Ave (accessible by bike, bus, or auto), with adherence to all COVID-19 precautions required by the Middlesex-London Public Health Unit
- Please complete this form by 11:59 pm on March 29, 2023.
- If you have any questions, please email [email protected]
- Interviews will be held virtually and you will be contacted by email or phone to schedule an interview time.
Urban Roots London values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application, please contact [email protected].