Position Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director or Designate
Location: Hybrid – London, ON office and some remote work
Hours of work: 30 hours per week, typically worked between Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, but with some evening and weekend work as needed
Term: Contract position between January 2024 and January 2025, with possibility of extension dependent upon funding
Start Date: January 2, 2023
Compensation: $24.40/hour with benefits
This is a full-time contract position with 2 weeks (60 hours) paid vacation annually, additional 3 paid days off (usually taken between Christmas and New Years Day but flexible), and professional development opportunities. TTLT is a hybrid workplace with flexible hours where teamwork and collaboration are highly valued.
About Thames Talbot Land Trust: Thames Talbot Land Trust (TTLT) protects and restores nature within Elgin, Middlesex, Oxford, and Perth counties and the City of London, in the current and traditional territories of Indigenous Peoples including Haudenosaunee, Anishinaabeg, Lenaapeewak, Attawandaron, and Wendat Peoples. With a focus on healthy habitats for wildlife, our work also contributes to human well-being and helps address climate change. TTLT safeguards land through purchase, donation or by special agreements, and cares for the land and water through conservation and restoration initiatives. TTLT also hosts events and programs aimed at nurturing people’s connection to nature to inspire wonder, promote well-being, and increase support for these protected areas. Since 2000, TTLT has protected more than 2200 acres of land across 26 sites and counting, including wetlands, forests, meadows, agricultural lands and the homes of more than 60 species at risk. We recognize that these lands have been cared for and remain under the care of Indigenous Peoples from time immemorial. We aim to work in the spirit and practice of reconciliation and we are honoured to take part in sustaining and nurturing nature in this region. We could not operate without the help of dedicated volunteers who contribute their time, energy, skills, and expertise. We are committed to equity and diversity and aim to ensure that people from all walks of life are welcome, safe, included, and valued in all aspects of their volunteering experience.
Position Summary: TTLT has around 150 active volunteers annually within our three volunteer programs (i.e. Stewardship, Outreach, and Office) as well as members of the Board of Directors and committees. The volunteer coordinator will be a key member of the team providing engaging and meaningful opportunities for volunteers, community groups, and corporate partners. The position will entail managing and growing all aspects of TTLT’s volunteer programs using Engagement Organizing principles, while ensuring volunteering opportunities are welcoming and inclusive.
• Developing/curating volunteer policies, procedures, and support materials such as a volunteer handbook, training videos, incident reporting processes and other similar items
• Volunteer orientation and onboarding including orientation events, one-on-one meet and greets with new volunteers, and various training
• Volunteer recognition and retention including coordinating the annual volunteer appreciation event and volunteer awards, as well as volunteer spotlights and other recognition initiatives
• Volunteer recruitment including updating and maintaining the volunteer page and volunteer events on the website, email communications, social media, and other methods
• Volunteer tracking including maintaining volunteers in the database (NationBuilder) such as creating profiles, tagging profiles and recording hours contributed
• Providing oversight and administrative support to volunteer-led projects and programs such as Passport to Nature
• Tracking and communicating volunteer impacts
• Regular e-blast communications with volunteers targeted to specific interests
• Ensuring volunteer events and opportunities are welcoming and inclusive to all participants
• Working with other staff to organize and implement volunteer events/opportunities and to build up volunteer programs
How to apply:
• Please email your application to [email protected] by December 1st. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis as they are received.
• Applications will be assessed according to the experiences, skills, and abilities listed above. Your application can be in any format that you feel best demonstrates how you meet these criteria.
• Please include “Volunteer Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.