Summer Student, Outreach & Community Coordinator – Lake Erie & Thames River
London, ON. 2 positions, 8 weeks (start date July 3rd, negotiable)
4 days/week, 30 hours/week
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities, Tides Canada provides
uncommon solutions for the common good.
Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote social equity and
economic prosperity. To tackle the complex environmental and social problems that we face in
Canada today, Tides Canada provides strategy, expertise, and tools to ensure changemakers can get
from vision to impact.
The Freshwater Alliance, a project on the Tides Canada shared platform, is a national initiative that
builds, connects and supports freshwater constituencies across Canada. We work with environmental
organizations, community groups, governments and businesses to strengthen citizen engagement and
participation in the protection of our lakes and rivers.
Position Summary: Our two summer outreach and community coordinators will be responsible for working
with community members to protect and celebrate Lake Erie and the Thames River. They will assist with
events and activities that connect community members to these water bodies through recreational and
educational opportunities. Activities will be designed to bring community members together, strengthen their
relationships to Lake Erie and the Thames River, and increase public awareness and environmental
• Working with community partners, support the planning and coordination of five educational and
recreational activities, including:
o Logistics, promotions and registration
o Production of digital and print communications for promotional and educational purposes
o Planning and coordination of sponsorships
o Volunteer coordination and team development
o Data management
o Event related administrative duties as required
This position is made possible with support from Canada Summer Jobs and only applicants who meet all of
the following criteria will be considered:
● Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to
school on a full-time basis in September;
● Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred
under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3;
● Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and
● Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
● An understanding of, and enthusiasm for protecting the health of the region’s freshwater
● Ability to organize events and willingness to communicate with residents of London and area on
issues of freshwater health
● Experience with community volunteerism, engagement and outreach activities
● Strong oral and written communication skills, including use of basic computer programs
● Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
● A valid driver’s license and occasional access to use of an automobile is an asset but not required
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Outreach & Community
Coordinator” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please help us understand why you’re the ideal
candidate by addressing the following questions:
1. What interests you most about this position?
2. Briefly tell us how your skills and experiences are a good fit for this position.
For more information about the Canadian Freshwater Alliance and Tides Canada, please visit:
www.freshwateralliance.ca / www.lakeeriealive.org
As Canadian Freshwater Alliance is on Tides Canada’s Shared Platform,
the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and
we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to
applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,
only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted until May 28, 2018, however we encourage you to apply early!