Volunteer Position Details:
We are seeking Finance Committee volunteers to provide high-quality support to develop and review financial policies, support with financial reporting and ensure good financial oversight for the organization. The London Environmental Network supports over 45 environmental groups and nonprofits in London through capacity-building resources and amplifying their messaging through our communications platforms. Volunteer work will be primarily done remotely, but in-person meetings are available when allowed.
The London Environmental Network (LEN) is a network of local environmentally focused non-profits and community groups. LEN works to strengthen these groups internally so they are better able to make positive change over the long term. The LEN also works to raise the profile of the environmental non-profit sector so we attract more volunteers and supporters in growing a healthy, sustainable city. Our vision is for London to be known as one of the greenest and most resilient cities in Canada.
Small but mighty is our trademark! If you are a match, you will be working closely with our staff and volunteer teams to achieve both your personal goals and the organizational goals. We want you to benefit from your time with us at LEN, as much as we want to benefit from your experience.
Preferable Experience and Skills:
- Previous experience in customer service, non-profit sector, or sales is desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience in the financial sector in any capacity an asset
- Some experience with boards or committees of nonprofits an asset.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently to meet deliverables.
- Reporting skills (tracking, evaluation etc.)
The Finance Committee enables the LEN Board to maintain continuing oversight of the financial and budgetary affairs of the London Environmental Network. These meetings serve as an opportunity for Committee members to seek clarification and provide suggestions on matters relating to Board business.
The Board of Directors has delegated to the Finance Committee responsibility for assisting the Board in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities over the financial affairs of the Network, and for ensuring the establishment of sound policies and practices which will lead to the long-term financial sustainability of the Network.
The Finance Committee will be responsible for the following:
- Ensure that adequate records of the assets, liabilities, receipts and disbursements are being maintained
- Review budget statements with profit and loss information
- Review quarterly financial statements and provide feedback for Board direction
- Provide guidance on financial and payroll regulatory issues, such as CEWS and TWS
- Support the audit process when needed
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements for external reporting, as applied by the CRA and other government agencies
- Ensure compliance with payroll and HST remittances
- Seek to maintain and improve the financial health of the Network
- Liaise with other committees re income generation and expenditure
How to Apply:
Email [email protected] with a cover letter and resume. Use “Finance Committee Application” as your subject line. This will be forwarded to the Chair, who will follow up with your application.