Green Economy London Hub Manager Job Posting
Start Date: January 2019
Location: London, Ontario
Salary: Range between $40,000-$44,000 a year + flexible work schedule
An exciting full-time opportunity is available at Green Economy London (GEL) at the London Environmental Network (LEN). Working with the Executive Director and GEL Advisory Committee this position will lead the growth of a new Green Economy Hub. The Hub Manager is a passionate entrepreneur, a collaborative leader, and deeply committed to shaping a community-led sustainability Hub in London from the ground up.
Green Economy London brings together, supports and celebrates businesses in London, Ontario, setting and achieving sustainability goals. Green Economy London is one of seven Hubs that provides the guidance, resources, and networks needed to set greenhouse gas reduction and other environmental targets, and recognizes its members for their progress. Together, we’re demonstrating a more sustainable economy is possible.
The London Environmental Network is a network of local environmentally focused non-profits and community groups. LEN works to strengthen these groups internally so they are better able to make positive change over the long term. LEN also works to raise the profile of the environmental sector so we attract more volunteers and supporters in growing a healthy, sustainable city. Green Economy London is our newest initiative that focuses on helping businesses make sustainable change.
Hub Impact: Engage with Hub Members (40%)
- Provides Hub members with a mix of the support, direction & accountability they need to move through GEL milestones & set ambitious targets.
- Builds internal sustainability capacity of Hub members by delivering the various supports offered by GEL, and provides direction throughout via the Hub milestones.
- Approaches every aspect of what the Hub offers with a lens of how service offerings are contributing to building a broader movement.
- Train and coach participants using the GEL sustainability framework/reporting toolkits and carbon accounting software
- Tracking and reporting on GEL activity progress as part of GEL reporting requirements to the Board of Directors, funding organizations and Green Economy Canada
- Develop and organize the content of technical workshops and educational forums that meet the needs and challenges faced by GEL Members.
Hub Growth: Business Development (20%)
- Design strategy to recruit new members
- Manages activities related to sourcing leads, engaging prospective members, building the case for membership, and securing new members who have intention to set sustainability targets;
- Maintains a keen sense of market needs with respect to Hub services and acts on opportunities as they arise.
- Developing a team that assists with business development (mix of staff and volunteers)
Hub Communications (15%)
- Oversees the organization’s support and communication of GEL members' projects and membership, both internal and external to the member
- Leads marketing and communications of Hub services with potential Hub members and partners;
- Oversees creation of Green Economy London messaging, from website to printed material.
- With support from marketing and public relations functional areas, ensures the organization recognizes GEL members in local media, online and in the community at large
Hub Improvement and Network Contribution (15%)
- Leads internal conversations to identify, resource and execute plans to improve GEL];
- Directs internal discussions to understand and interpret how changes to the external environment (i.e. regulation) affects GEL;
- Manages development of new tools for member sustainability initiatives (i.e. GHG Services Directory, Sustainability Ideas Book, Green Team Guide, Communications Toolkit, etc.);
- Analyzes and improves upon service offerings based on member feedback and observations;
- Works to develop relationships for sponsorship opportunities in concert with the Executive Director
- Builds relationships and liaises with sustainability professionals within London and in the broader sustainability community nationally.
- Liaises with Green Economy Canada and other Hubs to ensure network consistency, uphold Hub standards, share learning and innovations, and report impact.
- Ensure that GEL is kept aware, up-to-date and current with all local, provincial, national and international sustainability trends.
Hub Impact: Member Recognition (10%)
- Oversees the creation of the GEL year-end report
- Oversees the planning and execution of an annual recognition event to celebrate members’ progress
- Supervises the organization’s communication of members’ projects and membership (e.g. member profiles on the GEL website)
- Liaises with media
Small but mighty is our trademark! If you are the successful candidate you will be working in a staff team of two as you would be working closely with our Executive Director to achieve both your personal goals and the organizational goals. You will also work with the Green Economy London Advisory Committee, which is a support team of talented volunteers from various industries such as academia, financial institutions, government and consulting.
- We are welcoming, ambitious and optimistic.
- We care about what we each accomplish, not how many hours we put in.
- We want you to succeed personally and professionally just as much as we want to benefit from your work at LEN.
- We embrace innovation: we’re willing to take risks, we know we’ll make mistakes along the way, and we push ourselves to apply what we learn each time.
- We have fun, enjoy working together, and laugh often.
London Environmental Network is an equal opportunity employer. We want to be an organization where a diverse mix of talented people do their best work because of, not in spite of, our differences. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all staff, volunteers, members, subcontractors, and vendors in all our activities and operations, regardless of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), dis/ability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
The ideal candidate will have a post-secondary degree or diploma in sustainability, business, environmental management, engineering or other related areas, a strong passion for sustainability and contributing to a healthy community across multiple sectors. Project management experience in a professional setting is an asset, particularly in the not-for-profit sector.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications, traits and abilities:
- Exceptional project management and leadership skills;
- Demonstrated problem-solving and critical thinking skills;
- Takes initiative to start projects and is conscientious in seeing them through to completion;
- Strong interpersonal skills; strong written and verbal communication;
- Knowledge of GHG accounting standards and protocols;
- Knowledge of current government policy and current issues surrounding GHG policy development.
Other Information about the Work:
The position will be based out of the London Environmental Network offices (944 Western Counties Rd.), although there is flexibility to work remotely when appropriate.
- Flexibility in work locations (ie. some work done from home, in office, around London).
- Usually work a standard work week, but additionally will work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as meetings, and special events. Time in lieu will be offered for overtime hours.
- Professional development opportunities for all staff.
- Cell phone and laptop will be provided (or a cell phone stipend if preferred using personal cell).
- Valid driver's’ license and ability to travel within the London area.
Please send cover letter and resume to Skylar Franke, Executive Director at email@example.com using the title of “Hub Manager Application” in the subject line. Job posting closes December 13th at 11:59pm. Interviews will occur between December 17-21st.
Please advise if you have any accommodation needs – we are committed to ensuring you can participate fully in the recruitment process. We sincerely thank all applicants, however, we will only be able to personally contact those applicants selected for an interview.