Go Wild, Grow Wild Expo Coordinator
Carolinian Canada Coalition’s diverse network advances a strategic ‘Big Picture’ vision for healthy landscapes from Toronto to Windsor. Partnering with the London Environmental Network for 2019, the Go Wild Grow Wild is growing a green future, together with adventurers, gardeners, wild families and green people. Go, grow, get green with wildlife, experts, games, gear, delicious food, local drink, and the biggest gathering of native plant growers in the region. Connect with great green ideas, events and businesses year-round www.GoWildGrowWild.ca
Carolinian Canada is a network of leaders growing a green future together in the Carolinian Zone. Our Big Picture approach connects leading groups and individuals to collaborate for healthy ecosystems and resilient landscapes so communities can thrive in Canada’s extraordinary far south. Explore www.CarolinianCanada.ca
The Expo Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the Go Wild Grow Wild Green Expo in London Ontario, and developing strong local sponsor, media and partner relationships in partnership with Carolinian Canada. The event takes place on April 7th, 2019 but this contract is valid effective mid-November until April 30th, 2019. The Expo Coordinator will be working under the supervision of the London Environmental Network for the duration of the contract.
The Host Organization:
The London Environmental Network (LEN) is a network of local environmentally focused non-profits and community groups. LEN works to strengthen these groups internally so they are better able to make positive change over the long term. The LEN also works to raise the profile of the environmental non-profit sector so we attract more volunteers and supporters in growing a healthy, sustainable city.
Duties include (but are not limited to):
Event Management (25%)
- Recruiting and planning for volunteers (managing the Volunteer Task Force)
- Budgeting and financial responsibility
- Internal and external communication
- Event programming and project management
Event Logistics (35%)
- Organizing and planning event workshops
- Scheduling of stage performances/ presentations
- Local promotion (at events and online in advance)
- Organizing the event kick-off
- Booking and organizing the wildlife shows and food trucks
- Managing the planning of the event layout and set up
- Grant writing for pre-event funding
- Local sponsorship recruitment
- Creating and monitoring reports, surveys and evaluations
- Generating a report after the event with key findings, learnings and metrics
Small but mighty is our trademark! If you are the successful candidate you will be working in a team of two as you would be working closely with our Executive Director to achieve both your personal goals and the organizational goals. We want you to succeed just as much as we want to benefit from your work at LEN.
We will strive to gain an understanding of each person’s career and personal aspirations as they relate to their work with LEN and do whatever we can to support these goals, including funds for approved professional development courses. Overall, we endeavour to provide a diverse, inclusive culture that promotes positive professional and social interactions with other like-minded individuals that leads to camaraderie and enhanced learning. Go team!
The ideal candidate will have experience in fundraising, event planning, sponsorships, project management, a strong passion for sustainability and contributing to a healthy community. At least three years’ related work experience in a public- or client-facing role would be an asset. Ideally has access to a car when required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications, traits and abilities:
- Leadership Skills: the ability to plan, strategize, set goals, develop work plans, work efficiently and track progress; strong ability to work independently; ability to multi-task and assist with multiple projects and initiatives; the initiative to explore new ideas and create new opportunities; ability to make decisions and resolve problems.
- Communication Skills: excellent communication skills (oral and written); ability to deliver presentations; knowledge of effective communication tools and strategies to engage the public.
- Fundraising Skills: the ideal candidate will have experience fundraising (whether through events, sponsorship or grant writing) and a willingness to venture out to solicit funds from individuals, organizations and funders.
- Event Planning Skills: The ideal candidate will have experience planning events - big or small.
- Environmental Knowledge: current knowledge of key environmental issues. Continued interest in learning and expanding knowledge through professional development opportunities and personal initiative.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and adapt to a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Ability to learn new technologies and master new skills.
- Technical Skills: excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Email and Internet). Website development and management skills are an asset.
This is a part-time, contract position at the London Environmental Network. All planning and logistics will be completed using a combination of email, phone calls and in-person meetings so flexibility in schedule will be necessary.
Compensation: $22.00/hr for 30 hours/week over 25 weeks (mid-November 2018 to April 30th 2019).
All interested parties are to submit a resume and cover letter to Skylar Franke, Executive Director of the London Environmental Network via email – email@example.com by November 4th at 5:00pm. While we thank all applicants, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
London Environmental Network is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. If you have a disability that requires accommodation to assist you with any aspect of the hiring process, please contact Skylar at 226-700-6945 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated.