The London Environmental Network is seeking a Community Engagement Specialist to reach our outreach goals as outlined in our new Strategic Plan (2020-2025). As Community Engagement Specialist, your main focus is to identify and connect with new individuals, community groups, and organizations to grow our audience in the environmental sector in London. Volunteer work will be a combination of remote and in-person working. Continue reading for more details and how to apply!
Type: Volunteer (unpaid)
Time Commitment: Estimated 3-4 hours per week, plus special events as required. Minimum volunteer commitment for 8 months.
Volunteer Position Details:
We are seeking a Community Engagement Specialist to reach our outreach goals as outlined in our new Strategic Plan (2020-2025). As Community Engagement Specialist, your main focus is to identify and connect with new individuals, community groups, and organizations to grow our audience in the environmental sector in London. Volunteer work will be a combination of remote and in-person working.
The London Environmental Network (LEN) is a network of local environmentally focused non-profits and community groups. LEN works to strengthen these groups internally so they are better able to make positive change over the long term. The LEN also works to raise the profile of the environmental non-profit sector so we attract more volunteers and supporters in growing a healthy, sustainable city.
Small but mighty is our trademark! If you are the successful candidate you will be working closely with our staff team to achieve both your personal goals and the organizational goals. We want you to succeed just as much as we want to benefit from your time with us at LEN.
Preferable Experience and Skills:
- Previous experience in public speaking, community engagement, sales, or customer service is desirable. Must love talking to new people and finding solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to engage new audiences
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently to meet deliverables.
- Reporting skills (tracking, evaluation etc.)
The Community Engagement Specialist will be working on the development and delivery of the LEN outreach strategy. Responsibilities of the Community Engagement Specialist will include:
- Research new audiences for potential speaking engagements and event collaborations
- Research new venues and events for community outreach opportunities
- Coordinate and staff London Environmental Network’s outreach booth at various in-person events throughout the year.
- Speak in person or virtually about the London Environmental Network or Green Economy London to new audiences to engage them in our programming and see where potential collaborations are possible
- Develop a form / standard procedure for managing event and outreach requests
- Input metrics into our systems to track outreach engagement performance
Supervision and Mentoring Plan:
The Community Engagement Specialist will report to a Supervisor at London Environmental Network.
A volunteer orientation to the London Environmental Network and the position will be provided at the beginning of the position. This will include an overview of the London Environmental Network organizational structure, mandate, policies, procedures and properties.
Volunteer training and supervision will be provided by the Supervisor who will communicate the specific goals, tasks and expectations of individual projects. The Community Engagement Specialist will be in contact with the Supervisor on a weekly basis when working independently.
The Supervisor will meet with the Community Engagement Specialist once per week to review progress on projects and discuss new ideas and challenges.
London Environmental Network is an equal opportunity organization. We want to be an organization where a diverse mix of talented people do their best work because of, not in spite of, our differences. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all staff, volunteers, members, subcontractors, and vendors in all our activities and operations, regardless of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), dis/ability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by September 18th 2020 at 5pm with a cover letter and resume. Use “Community Engagement Specialist Application” as your subject line.