London Environmental Network - Board of Directors Application
The London Environmental Network (LEN) connects local nonprofits and community groups working with an environmental focus. We work to build strong, resilient organizations so they can be more effective at creating positive and long-term environmental change.
At this time, we are recruiting individuals to serve as Directors on the LEN Board to help execute LEN’s vision in London Ontario.
Vision: London is known as one of the greenest and most resilient cities in Canada.
The London Environmental Network acts as a doorway into the environmental non-profit sector so Londoners can more easily learn about environmental activity in our city and how to get involved. We believe that by cultivating a strong, cohesive and empowered environmental non-profit community, we will engage more Londoners in growing a healthy, sustainable city.
The LEN Board of Directors oversees the governance and strategic direction of the Network. It meets regularly to provide feedback and support in all areas of the Network including, but not limited to, governance, financial stability, strategic planning, fundraising, marketing, operations and ensuring human resource compliance.
Board of Directors’ Purpose:
- Develop and execute strategy for LEN – set strategic framework so that staff and Network Members can develop specific goals and tactics.
- Develop (with input from staff and network members), and monitor annual goals and benchmarks.
- Ensure that the Network is accountable to funding organizations in terms of deliverables and reporting.
- Assist with sustainability planning.
- Drive resources (funding, people, opportunities) toward the Network whenever possible (i.e., recruiting volunteers, funding development etc.).
- Create ad hoc and sub-committees as needed to address specific or ongoing Network issues.
- Ensure financial, and human resource compliance.
- Engage in succession planning for LEN Leadership, both board and staff.
Experience and Skills
LEN is seeking action-oriented individuals with a variety of experience and background. Currently, we are seeking the following skill sets in particular:
- Human resources
- Volunteer management
- Business development
- Government relations
Board of Directors Membership:
The Board of Directors will be comprised of a minimum of five to a maximum of 15 individuals, including:
- Representatives from Network Members. These representatives should represent the diversity of the network.
- Representatives from the general London and area public with an interest in the environment.
Committee members should have experience and/or training in governance, non-profit management, fundraising, finance, marketing or volunteer management.
Directors are elected for three-year (3) terms and will serve no more than two consecutive terms. On subsequent terms after their first, they may serve less than 3 years at their choosing.
Board members will meet monthly for regularly scheduled meetings (usually 11 a year). They must also sit on one other committee of the Board. They may from time to time appoint any committee or another advisory body, as deemed necessary or appropriate for such purposes. They must attend 75% of regularly scheduled meetings to be in good standing.
Board members are also expected to commit to 1-3 hours a month of independent work outside of regularly scheduled meetings.
Decisions shall be made by consensus. If consensus cannot be reached, a simple majority vote of those in attendance will decide the issue. Voting by email is also permitted. Any votes completed by email will appear on the following month’s minutes to ensure all board voting is tracked.